Yes, that title is correct. These are chocolate cloud cookies with chocolate chips, thus the double chocolate.
I know I wouldn't win any food photography prizes for my picture, but you get the idea.
These cookies are great if you can't eat grains. They're very sweet, and I don't often indulge in sugary snacks, but eating a few for a periodic treat won't hurt. They're also not bad with coffee.
- The whites of two large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup raw, organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cacao powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
I'm hardcore organic, but you can substitute regular ingredients for any of the organic ingredients. And you can use any regular unsweetened cocoa powder in place of the cacao.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cover cookie sheet with silicone pad or parchment paper.
- With a mixer on high speed, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and vanilla, a little at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks (and sugar is dissolved).
- Gently fold sifted cacao into the egg white mixture until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons on cookie sheet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or just until dry.
- Cool slightly then removed from cookie sheet.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Store at room temperature.
When I stored these in a sealed plastic bag, they got a little soft. I ended up opening the top of the bag just a little bit to keep the cookies hard, which is how I preferred them.